We are excited to announce a Regional P2P Event focused on “Volunteering and Volunteer Management.” The goal of the event is to explore the potential of volunteering for social and economic development in the Western Balkans and Türkiye.
A vibrant civil society is a crucial component of any democratic system and a key indicator of a community’s readiness to become part of the EU family. An empowered civil society is also indispensable for the protection of human rights, giving people a voice, and ensuring accountability of public authorities.
Volunteering is an important part of the social, cultural, and economic life in the Western Balkans and Türkiye and has the potential to drive positive change and create a more just and equitable society. Despite this, the rate of volunteering in the region is very low compared to the EU.
The event will bring together CSOs, public institutions, and EU representatives to explore the current legal, financial, and policy frameworks for volunteering. Participants will identify best practices and success stories from the region and the EU and discuss strategies for promoting volunteering and ensuring its sustainability.
Specific objectives and expected outcomes of the event include:
- Exploring the reasons behind the low rate of volunteering in the Western Balkans and Türkiye and identifying strategies for promoting volunteering at the individual, community, and policy levels.
- Examining the legal framework for volunteering in the Western Balkans and Türkiye and identifying opportunities for improving laws and regulations that affect volunteers and volunteer organizations.
- Showcasing examples of successful volunteer initiatives in the EU and Western Balkans and Türkiye and identifying factors that contribute to their success, including funding, capacity building, and community engagement.
- Discussing challenges related to funding and sustainability of volunteer organizations and exploring strategies for diversifying funding sources and ensuring long-term viability.
- Providing a platform for networking and collaboration among volunteers, volunteer organizations, policymakers, and other stakeholders in the Western Balkans and Türkiye and fostering the cross-border exchange of ideas and best practices.
We look forward to exploring these topics and collaborating with CSOs, public institutions, and EU representatives interested in the topic.